Gleaning

Inside, Out

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kelowna, Canada

Sunday, June 10

Why I Hate the Poor

I have learned an attitude since I was young. The belief is that I have the things I have because I deserve them. I have done right, and that it why I own my own car. I have worked hard and smart, so my glasses have an anti-reflective coating. I am entitled to the freedom that I have because I am Canadian. Inherent in this is the belief that the poor do not have, because they have not done right, have not worked hard or smart and because they are not Canadian. I wouldn't say this out loud but it is there, like a pea in my bed, making it hard to sleep at night. Part of me believes that if Africa were fitter, they would survive better. They would stop killing one another and stop dying of AIDS and stop starving. It is of course a lie. I am not full in my belly because I am better, in any way. Part of me... perhaps would like to feed hungry children for no other reason than they are suffering and that matters. Another part of me would rather watch Heroes and eat a Big Turk and go to bed early. I resent the poor because they disrupt my idle existence. If they would just stop being poor, I could get on with living my life. If they would just work harder and stop starving, I would not have to face the fact that I am not my own provider... I am not my own protector.... I am not my own redeemer... I am not naked, poor, miserable and to be pitied. I am rich! I am increased in goods! I own a Macintosh! I am intelligent! I am educated!

Sorry Africa, maybe if you had invested better.




All is Gift.







...

2 Comments:

Blogger alex said...

The hat symbol was familiar to http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=shaw+george me long before the patient related this dream.. Elder Brown's step began to lose its http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=terminator+scsi buoyancy...

1:49 AM  
Blogger christy kuettel said...

I don't know what to say....All of us on this side of the world, who are fat and rich, likely feel the same way at the core of it all. But not because we are great ourselves....the reality: we are naked and poor without a merciful God.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home